Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
A nice little cake for any occasion. Points 3.
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar, for garnish
- fresh raspberries (optional) or strawberry (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9-inch square pan (or muffin tins) with vegetable cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, stir together the milk, eggs, canola oil, lemon peel, lemon juice and vanilla and lemon extracts.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Stir just to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread it into an even layer.
- Bake for about 45 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake to the rack and cool to room temperature.
- Sift confectioners' sugar over the cooled cake, if desired.
- Top the cake with fresh raspberries or strawberry slices, if desired.
- Optional Icing: Whip one 8 oz. pack of softened reduced-fat cream cheese, thinning it to the desired consistency with skim milk and a little honey.
- Spread it over the top of the cake.
nice easy dessert. I made individual cakes and topped with cream and mango. My husband really enjoyed these. Will be making them again