1/1 Photo of Pound Cake Perfected
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe produces a pound cake that is more soft and moist than the traditional cake, excellent taste and texture. It is best baked in a Bundt pan using cake flour. You may substitute all-purpose flour with good results but don't use loaf pans. There is more moisture and less protein than in traditional recipes so it needs a Bundt pan. From Fine Cooking magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (or 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour)
- 3 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup whole milk, at room temperature (I've also used 2% milk with good results)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1Position oven rack in the center of your oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- 2Melt the 1 Tbsp butter and brush the entire inside of a 12 cup Bundt pan.
- 3Put the 3 Tbsp flour into the pan and roll the pan around to distribute the flour; use more flour if necessary and knock out excess flour when pan is completely coated.
- 4In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- 5Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- 6Add egg yolks and beat on low speed until smooth.
- 7Stop mixer and scrape down the bowl and paddle.
- 8On medium-low speed add whole eggs one at a time, mixing at least 20 seconds between each egg.
- 9Stop mixer and scrape down again.
- 10On your mixer's lowest speed add half the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- 11Add milk and mix until just combined.
- 12Add remaining flour and mix until just combined.
- 13Stop and scrape down bowl and paddle (last time).
- 14Add vanilla and mix on medium speed for 20 to 30 seconds, until batter is smooth.
- 15Spoon batter into Bundt pan and spread it evenly.
- 16Run a knife through the batter to get rid of any large air bubbles and gently knock the pan on your counter a few times.
- 17Bake 45 - 55 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with moist crumbs, no wet batter.
- 18Cool in pan 10 - 15 minutes, then invert on a wire rack to cool completely.
- 19Cake keeps at room temperature for 3 days or may be frozen.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pound Cake Perfected
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 329.4
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 106.9 mg
- Sodium 127.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 22.6 g
- Protein 3.8 g