Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Church Ladies recipe from fundraiser cookbook. Seems basic and rises up to your expectations.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter or 1 1⁄2 cups margarine
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 eggs
- Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk and lemon juice; mix well.
- Pour into buttered and floured loaf pan.
- Bake in 300 degree oven of 1-1/2" hrs.
Very buttery and yummy! Great flavor. I didn't have any buttermilk on hand, and substituted with 1 Cup of Milk mixed with 1 TBSP of lemon juice. My only complaint was that I baked it for the 1 1/2 hours, and when I went to remove it, raw batter came out of the middle. I had to put it back in the loaf pan and bake for another 1/2 hour.
Lovely buttery pound cake with a dense texture. I think the buttermilk makes a big difference to the texture as compared to those pound cakes made with milk. I've made this recipe 3 times with the last cake being shared by coaches, refs, college scouts, etc. at a school sponsored basketball tournament at my daughter's high school - many compliments on the cake. Thanks for sharing!