Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
Once I tried these, I never bothered making 'traditional' sugar cookies again. A soft, flavorful cookie that is a MUST for me at Christmas. Note, the original recipe said they were cut-out cookies but I never was able to get them to work well that way. That is why I make the round ones as described.
Top Review by JPerez
Nice and chewy! Great texture and great taste. I subbed 1 TBSP applesauce for part of the butter and I got 24 good size cookies from the batch, which I frosted and sprinkled with decorative sugar. They only lasted a day and a half between 6 people. My kids already asked me to make them again.
- 453.59 g packagebetty crocker golden poundcake mix
- 78.07 ml butter, softened
- 4.92 ml almond extract
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F Mix half of the cake mix (dry), the butter, almond extract and egg in large bowl until smooth.
- Stir in remaining cake mix.
- Divide dough into halves.
- Roll each half 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured board. (I like using a half flour, half powdered sugar mix.).
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Or roll into 1-inch balls, place on ungreased cookie sheet and flatten with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake until edges are light brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet.
- Cool completely.
- Ice with Buttercream Icing (I use Recipe #261024) and decorate, if desired, with sprinkles etc.
- Yields: 3 to 4 dozen cookies.
- TIP: Add sprinkles to the icing and mix well.
- Then ice cookies as usual. They are now decorated without a lot of the mess!