Recipe by PA-Dave
This recipe makes a dense, sweet cake. As the name "Pound Cake" implies, the recipe calls for a "pound" each of butter, eggs, sugar, and flour. This recipe was given to me by my Czech Grandmother.
Top Review by D. Duckie
This is so much better than anything you can buy in a store! The only thing I did different was add vanilla extract rather than almond. Fabulous with fresh strawberries, my kids are going to want this all summer long! (And it's easy to make!) Thank you!
- 1 lb butter, room temperature
- 8 eggs
- 1 lb sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or other citrus)
- 1 lb flour, sifted
- icing (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter.
- Add a pound of eggs (typically 8 or 9 eggs), the sifted sugar, almond flavoring, and lemon juice.
- Cream until smooth.
- My Grandmother's recipe said to beat for 1/2 hour.
- If you are using an electric mixer, adjust accordingly.
- Gradually add the flour and mix well.
- Pre-heat oven to 300.
- Fill a lightly greased form 3/4 of the way.
- Loaf pans work well, as do mini-loafs or cup-cakes.
- For loafs, check for doneness with knife-test at 90 minutes.
- Mini-loafs and cup-cakes will finish sooner.
- I like this pound cake plain, or with a light dusting of confectioners' sugar.
- Alternately, you can apply a thin coat of icing.