Recipe by Local Expert
A regular old pound cake. Dense, not too sweet, wonderful at any time of the day (I often eat a slice for breakfast.. that can't be healthy). The recipe was given to me by my grandmother a couple of years ago, I believe she got it out of a newspaper article.
- 1⁄2 lb butter (2 sticks, cool but slightly softened)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Do NOT preheat the oven! You will put the cake in cold, then set the temperature.
- Liberally grease your cake pan (I use a bundt pan) with butter and flour it. Set that aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, shortening, and sugar together.
- Add one egg at a time, mixing well after each one.
- Add milk and vanilla.
- Add flour and baking powder. Mix until well incorporated.
- Pour into cake pan. Put it in the oven, then set the temperature to 350 degrees.
- Bake for around 1 hour and 15 minutes. The top will get crusty and light brown. Stick a toothpick in it and make sure it comes completely clean and not too moist. Let it sit for about 15 minutes before dumping it out (the crust part is the bottom).
- NOTE: If you can wait, let it set until the next day, it will taste better! When you cut it fresh out of the oven, it's too warm and moist and the flavor isn't there yet. in my opinion. This is good for regular cakes, but not pound cake.