Recipe by Bay Laurel
How could this recipe not be on RecipeZaar? I tasted a friends delicious pound cake and decided to "try" to make one. Of course,I turned to my cookbook Bible, "Joy of Cooking" for the recipe. I actually followed the directions and it paid off. I will be making this again very soon..
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 -9 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 8 -9 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
- Beat butter in a large bowl at medium high speed for one minute.
- Gradually add and beat sugar 5 to 7 minutes.
- Beat in eggs yolks one at a time
- Add in vanilla and beat for one minute.
- On low speed,slowly add sifted flour and mix only until thoroughly blended.
- Using clean beaters, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt at medium high speed until stiff but not dry.
- Fold one quarter of the whites into the batter, then fold in the remaining whites. Scrape the batter into the pans. Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about one hour.
- Cool pans on a rack for 10 minutes. Enjoy.