Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My Polish Grandmother's version of the timeless classic
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water, boiling
- 3 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat butter until fluffy, then little by little add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add boiling water slowly and beat well.
- Stir in 1 cup flour and 1 unbeaten egg.
- Mix well and repeat one time.
- Add baking powder and salt to last cup of flour.
- Sift together before adding with the third egg. Alternate with the milk.
- Add vanilla.
- pour into greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake at 325 for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- May double and bake in prepared bundt pan.