Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Wonderful, dense pound cake, serve with custard or berry sauce over thin slices, top with whipped cream (Mmm!) or just nice slices with tea or coffee.
- 2 cups butter, no substitutes
- 2 cups sugar
- 9 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 2 tablespoons brandy (optional) or 8 drops rose water (optional)
- 4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cream thoroughly with electric mixer, butter, (when you think you have creamed it enough, cream it some more!).
- Slowly dribble in the sugar, beating and creaming well.
- Cream for a couple of minutes after the sugar is all inches.
- Beat in one at a time the 9 eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and mace.
- Add brandy if using.
- Resift the flour with the cream of tartar and salt.
- Dribble in the sifted ingredients slowly, at lowest speed, mixing until thoroughly blended only.
- Pour the batter into 2 greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pans lined with buttered, heavy waxed paper.
- Allow the paper to project over the sides of the pan, for easy removal.
- Bake the cake in a slow oven 325°F for about 1 hour.
- Tester inserted in centre should come out clean.
- Variation: Add to half the mixture 1/2 cup each of floured candied cherries, pineapple, citron and white raisins and have a delicious fruit cake.
Great recepie. The cake has a delicate flavor and wonderful pound cake texture. I baked it in a tube pan instead of the 2 loaves recommended in the recepie. It took approx 1 hr. and 15 minutes to bake. It's wonderful with Cool Whip and fresh strawberries.
A really good flavor and easy to make.