Recipe by Derf
Wonderful, dense pound cake, serve with custard or berry sauce over thin slices, top with whipped cream (Mmm!) or just nice slices with tea or coffee.
Top Review by MaureenM
Great recepie. The cake has a delicate flavor and wonderful pound cake texture. I baked it in a tube pan instead of the 2 loaves recommended in the recepie. It took approx 1 hr. and 15 minutes to bake. It's wonderful with Cool Whip and fresh strawberries.
- 2 cups butter, no substitutes
- 2 cups sugar
- 9 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 2 tablespoons brandy (optional) or 8 drops rose water (optional)
- 4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream thoroughly with electric mixer, butter, (when you think you have creamed it enough, cream it some more!).
- Slowly dribble in the sugar, beating and creaming well.
- Cream for a couple of minutes after the sugar is all inches.
- Beat in one at a time the 9 eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and mace.
- Add brandy if using.
- Resift the flour with the cream of tartar and salt.
- Dribble in the sifted ingredients slowly, at lowest speed, mixing until thoroughly blended only.
- Pour the batter into 2 greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pans lined with buttered, heavy waxed paper.
- Allow the paper to project over the sides of the pan, for easy removal.
- Bake the cake in a slow oven 325°F for about 1 hour.
- Tester inserted in centre should come out clean.
- Variation: Add to half the mixture 1/2 cup each of floured candied cherries, pineapple, citron and white raisins and have a delicious fruit cake.