1/1 Photo of Poulet Yassa (Chicken Yassa) from Africa
4 hrs 45 mins
Ed Gibbon's Note:
This traditional chicken dish from the Casamance region of Senegal is one of the most famous African recipes and is found in Senegalese restaurants the world over. For best results let the chicken marinate overnight; in Africa, this is essential to tenderize the sometimes tougher African fowl. It is also very good when made with fish. For the simplest yassa, make the marinade from just oil, lemon juice, onions, and a little mustard.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup peanut oil (or any cooking oil)
- 1 chicken, cut into serving-sized pieces
- 4 -6 onions, cut up
- 8 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 tablespoons vinegar (cider vinegar is good)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 tablespoon maggi seasoning sauce (or Maggi cubes and water or soy sauce) (optional)
- 1 chili pepper, cleaned and finely chopped (optional)
- cayenne pepper or red pepper
- black pepper
- 1 small cabbage, cut into chunks (optional)
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks (optional)
- 1Mix all ingredients (except the optional vegetables), the more onions the better, and allow chicken to marinate in a glass dish in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
- 2Remove chicken from the marinade, but save the marinade.
- 3Cook according to one of the following methods.
- 4Cooking method 1: Grill chicken over a charcoal fire (or bake it in a hot oven) until chicken is lightly browned but not done.
- 5Cooking method 2: Sauté chicken for a few minutes on each side in hot oil in a frypan.
- 6While chicken is browning: Remove onions from marinade and sauté them in a large saucepan for a few minutes.
- 7Add remaining marinade and the optional vegetables and bring to a slow boil, cooking the marinade into a sauce.
- 8Reduce heat.
- 9Add chicken to the sauce, cover and simmer until chicken is done.
- 10Serve with Rice, Couscous (couscous with chickpeas and raisins is very good), or Fufu.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poulet Yassa (Chicken Yassa) from Africa
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.0
- Calories from Fat 398
- Total Fat 44.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 85.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 22.6 g