Recipe by COOKGIRl
Adapted by me from my copy of '365 Ways to Cook Chicken' cookbook and several online recipes. I used both green and red grapes for added color. Serve with simple sides such as saffron rice or roasted new potatoes; lightly steamed seasonal vegetables or an uncomplicated mesclun salad. Elegant yet easy main dish!
Top Review by lazyme
We really enjoyed this. My grand kids loved the idea of grapes with their chicken. lol. My sauce didn't thicken so I ended up adding a little bit of a slurry which worked well. Thanks for sharing a nice keeper, CG. Made for Bevy tag.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- unbleached flour, for dredging
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt-free garlic powder
- 6 skinless chicken thighs (can sub three breasts if you prefer)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (we tested a 2006 riesling by Territorial Winery here in Oregon)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 lb green seedless grape
- 1⁄4 lb red seedless grapes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- lemon zest
- fresh parsley or fresh French tarragon
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound the chicken thighs to roughly 1/4" thickness but no more than 1/2".
- Heat the butter and oil in a large sautè pan on medium heat.
- Combine the flour and garlic powder and lightly dredge the chicken pieces. Tip: I use a fine mesh strainer and lightly and evenly sprinkled the flour on the chicken.
- Brown chicken on both sides, about 10 minutes total.
- Remove chicken to a warming plate.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine and chicken stock, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Whisk in the Dijon mustard, bringing mixture to a boil until the liquid has reduced and thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the heavy cream. Place the chicken thighs back in the pan along with the grapes.
- Heat through until warm (but *not* boiling), stirring mixture often for about 2-3 minutes; lowering the heat further if necessary.
- Transfer chicken to a platter, pour the cream sauce over the chicken then season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with lemon zest and fresh parsley or French tarragon.