Recipe by Manami
Source: "So This Is Kosher" by Ann Kaye and Hetty Rance, 1986. This is a lovely looking dish and it was loved by all!
- 2 ounces margarine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- fine matzo meal, for coating
- fresh ground black pepper
- onion powder, to season matzo meal (optional)
- garlic powder, to season matzo meal (optional)
- 3 lbs roasting chickens, separated into parts or 3 lbs chicken breasts, bone in and skin on
- 8 ounces apples, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons passover brandy
- 1 tablespoon celery leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 sprig watercress, for garnish
- apple, slices for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the margarine and oil in a large frying pan, and cook the onion and garlic until transparent, stirring constantly.
- Mix the matzo meal and the salt and pepper; coat the chicken pieces lightly. Add to the pan in one layer, and cook until browned on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and keep hot in an ovenproof dish.
- Stir in the apples and cook 2-3 min until softened.
- Pour in the brandy, and ignite it carefully.
- When the flames die down, add celery leaves and apple juice, and bring to a boil.
- Pour the contents over the chicken, cover tightly and bake at 325ºF for 50-60 minutes until chicken is tender.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving dish.
- Puree the apples and cooking juices (sieve, food mill, food processor).
- Bring to a rapid boil and reduce to about 1 cup.
- Add slowly to egg yolks, beating constantly to prevent curdling the yolks.
- Stir over very low heat until mixture thickens, then pour over chicken.
- Garnish with watercress and slices of apple (dip apple slices in lemon juice to prevent discoloration).