Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs 18 mins
A chicken stuffed with bacon, served with saute potatoes or potato cakes
- parsley, chopped
- 1 roasting chicken
- 2 onions
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 1 large orange
- 1⁄2 pint chicken stock
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1⁄4 pint white wine
- IF USING A BOILING CHICKEN, TREAT IT FIRST THIS WAY.
- put a rasher of bacon into a thick pan with (roasting chicken or treated boiling chicken).
- an onion, place the chicken on this, cover the pan tightly and set on low heat for about 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Put the herbs inside the bird with 1/2 the butter, smearing the remainder over the bird, and set the chicken in a casserole.
- place the thinly sliced onion around the chicken and add freshly ground pepper.
- Pour over the chicken the stock and wine.
- braise gently in the oven uncovered for about 1 hour.
- When half done add the finely sliced orange, the red pepper, shredded and blanched.
- Continue cooking.
- at the last minute take out the chicken, carve, reduce the gravy, thicken it with the cornflour, reboil and replace the chicken.
- sprinkle the chopped parsley.
- Serve with crist saute potatoes.
- WHEN SWEET PEPPERS ARE OUT OF SEASON, USE A TEASPOON OF PAPRIKA PEPPER.