Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a traditional recipe from Belgium, it's comfort food at it's best.
Make and share this Poulet à La Bière - Chicken in Beer recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 chicken quarters, halved
- 2 onions, quartered
- 4 carrots, thickly sliced
- 4 celery ribs, thickly sliced
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces light ale (Biere Blonde)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bouquet garni, see note
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream or 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- Season the flour with salt and black pepper, scatter on a plate and use to coat the chicken pieces. Now heat the butter and oil in a pan ( big enough to hold the chicken and with some depth ) until foaming then add the vegetables and cook gently for 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan and brown on all sides (add a little more oil, if necessary).
- Add the sauteed vegetables, ale, garlic, bouquet garni and season to taste. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 60 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Half way through cooking taste broth and adjust seasonings to taste.
- To serve, transfer the chicken and vegetables to a warmed serving dish. Bring the juices in the casserole to a boil then take off the heat and stir in the cream to thicken. Pour over the chicken pieces and serve.
- Substitute 1 bay leaf, 1-2 tsp of dried thyme, and some fresh parsley for the bouquet garni, though best with fresh herbs.
Delicious! I replaced the chicken with Pheasant and used just the breast meat. The meat was moist and tender. I used the dried herbs and threw in about 3 mushrooms that I needed to use up. There is plenty of sauce to go over your side dish if you want it. I served mine with poppy seed noodles and rye bread. Yummy! Thanks for posting. :)
My DH really enjoyed this, I served it with spatzel and snap peas. Comfort food. Made for ZWT 6
We really enjoyed this wonderful chicken recipe. I made it exactly as posted and used the fresh bouquet garni and half-and-half. I served it with boiled potatoes and brown raisin cake (Dutch Quick Bread). Made for ZWT 6.