Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Classic and not as hard as it looks. You can make the sauce peppier with more mustard. This sauce is excellent with rice.
- 3 whole chicken breasts, halved (bone in)
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- salt & pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 whole clove
- 1 lemon, rind of, including white part
- 2 cups 10% cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (or more depending on you taste)
- Tabasco sauce
- white pepper
- 2 teaspoons soft butter
- Cream together 3 tsp of mustard with 2 Tbsp soft butter, tarragon, salt & pepper.
- Smear over chicken pieces.
- Place in a 9 x13 pan.
- Bake until tender about 40 minute.
- Baste with the pan juices several times.
- In the meantime make a thick bechamel sauce.
- Use the whole onion stuck with the clove to flavour the milk as you heat it, then discard.
- Prepare lemon peel by cutting it in 1/4" strips, blanch in boiling water 10 minutes.
- Drain well & chop finely.
- Remove Chicken to platter and keep warm.
- Add bechamel to pan juices, stirring well.
- Stir in Cream and heat to boiling point.
- Reduce heat and add chopped lemon peel, 1 tsp of mustard, Tobasco, & white pepper.
- Lastly stir in 2 tsp of soft butter before pouring over Chicken.