Recipe by graffeetee
The peppers and ham are really what makes this a Basque style recipe. This is tasty without being strongly flavored.
- 4 lbs chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, julienned
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup ham, julienned
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Season the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Rub the chicken skin with the butter.
- Sprinkle the tarragon inside and outside the chicken.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan and pour over half the chicken broth.
- Cover and roast for about 75 minutes, basting every 20 minutes.
- Let chicken rest for 10-5 minutes.
- Deglaze the roasting pan with the remaining chicken broth.
- Make a slurry by mixing the cornstarch with a bit of water.
- Stir into the broth and cook and stir until thickened.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet.
- Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the red and green peppers and the ham and saute for another 4 minutes.
- To serve, carve the chicken and place on a platter. Arrange the ham and pepper mixture around the chicken and pour a bit of the gravy over all.
- Serve with the remaining gravy on the side.