Recipe by HeatherFeather
This recipe was adapted from recipe card collection from 1973 put out by McCall's. The recipe originated from Marrakech Restaurant in SanFrancisco. I have updated the marinating instructions to suit modern practices, but the ingredients remain unchanged. Posted by request.
Top Review by Kimke
This was great. I had been looking for a chicken piccata recipe and I felt this was really similar to what I wanted. I did add some capers at the end. Wonderful lemon teste and easy to do on a weeknight. Put in to marinade before going to work!
For the chicken
- 2 (2 1/2 lb) whole chicken, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 whole lemons, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
For each batch of marinade
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare at least two batches of marinade* by combining lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, mixing well.
- One batch is for marinating the chicken, the second batch will be used later for basting (keep it refrigerated until needed).
- Place rinsed& dried chicken quarters into a marinating container large enough to hold them and pour one batch marinade over the chicken.
- Seal container and let chicken marinate in the refrigerator 3-4 hours, turning several times to evenly coat.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard that batch of marinade.
- Place chicken into a lightly greased shallow baking dish big enough to hold all of the chicken.
- Brush with melted butter and bake, uncovered, 25 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare your second batch of marinade, if you have not already done so.
- Brush chicken with some of the new batch of marinade and return to the oven.
- Bake, occasionally basting with this marinade, another 25-35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through and is nicely browned.
- Once chicken is cooked, place onto a large platter and garnish with lemon slices and parsley.
- If there is any remaining marinade, bring it to a boil in a small saucepan and cook for at least 3 minutes, then pour over the chicken.
- *Or,you can have yet another batch of marinade prepared and heat that fresh batch-reducing it slightly- if you prefer lots of sauce.
- Serve atop steamed rice, if desired.