5 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe was adapted from recipe card collection from 1973 put out by McCall's. The recipe originated from Marrakech Restaurant in SanFrancisco. I have updated the marinating instructions to suit modern practices, but the ingredients remain unchanged. Posted by request.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the chicken
- 2 (2 1/2 lb) whole chicken, quartered
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 whole lemons, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
For each batch of marinade
- 1Prepare at least two batches of marinade* by combining lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, mixing well.
- 2One batch is for marinating the chicken, the second batch will be used later for basting (keep it refrigerated until needed).
- 3Place rinsed& dried chicken quarters into a marinating container large enough to hold them and pour one batch marinade over the chicken.
- 4Seal container and let chicken marinate in the refrigerator 3-4 hours, turning several times to evenly coat.
- 5Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 6Remove chicken from marinade and discard that batch of marinade.
- 7Place chicken into a lightly greased shallow baking dish big enough to hold all of the chicken.
- 8Brush with melted butter and bake, uncovered, 25 minutes.
- 9While the chicken is cooking, prepare your second batch of marinade, if you have not already done so.
- 10Brush chicken with some of the new batch of marinade and return to the oven.
- 11Bake, occasionally basting with this marinade, another 25-35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through and is nicely browned.
- 12Once chicken is cooked, place onto a large platter and garnish with lemon slices and parsley.
- 13If there is any remaining marinade, bring it to a boil in a small saucepan and cook for at least 3 minutes, then pour over the chicken.
- 14*Or,you can have yet another batch of marinade prepared and heat that fresh batch-reducing it slightly- if you prefer lots of sauce.
- 15Serve atop steamed rice, if desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poulet au Citron (Lemon Chicken)
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 438.4
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 144.6 mg
- Sodium 601.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 32.9 g