1/2 Photos of Poulet Au Cidre (Chicken in Cider and Calvados)
1 hr 5 mins
A classic dish of Normandy and Brittany. Sub apple brandy for the Calvados if need be. Use hard cider, if possible. Regular cider is too sweet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1587.57 g frying chicken, cut into 8 pieces (split breast and discard back pieces, or use for stock)
- 2 medium granny smith apples
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml calvados
- 354.88 ml hard alcoholic cider
- 78.07 ml creme fraiche
- salt and pepper
- 1Peel and core apples. Finely chop half of one apple and cut the rest into 12 wedges. Toss the apple in lemon juice.
- 2Heat half the butter in large frying pan. Add the chicken pieces, skin side down, and cook until golden. Turn chicken over and cook another 5 minutes. Remove the chicken and pour off fat.
- 3Heat 1 tablespoon butter in the same pan and add onion, celery and chopped apple. Fry over moderate heat for 5 minutes without browning.
- 4Remove from heat. Sprinkle flour into mixture and stir. Add Calvados and return to heat. Gradually stir in cider. Bring to a boil, return chicken to pan, cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- 5Heat remaining butter in small frying pan. Add apple wedges and fry over moderate heat until browned and tender. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- 6Remove the chicken pieces from the pan to a platter and keep warm. Skim excess fat from cooking liquid. Add creme fraiche, bring just to a boil and simmer 4 minutes, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and serve with warm apple wedges.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poulet Au Cidre (Chicken in Cider and Calvados)
Serving Size: 1 (551 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1087.5
- Calories from Fat 709
- Total Fat 78.8 g
- Saturated Fat 29.0 g
- Cholesterol 355.6 mg
- Sodium 292.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 75.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hard alcoholic cider