Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Chicken in Tomato Sauce
- 1 (2 lb) chicken
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, left whole
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 vanilla pod
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Plunge the tomatoes in boiling water 2 to 3 minutes then place them under a cold water tap; remove skins.
- Dice the tomatoes and put aside.
- Cut the chicken into 4 quarters and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Brown the chicken pieces in the olive oil in a deep cast iron pot.
- Add the diced tomatoes, whole garlic cloves, vanilla pods and dry white wine.
- Simmer on a very low flame for 2 to 3 hours (the chicken should fall off the bone).
- Remove the chicken from the pot and arrange on a serving platter; cover with aluminum foil and keep warm.
- Crush the garlic cloves, discard the vanilla pods and reduce tomato sauce slightly.
- Add additional salt & freshly ground black pepper if needed.
- When your tomato sauce has reached desired consistency; cover the arranged chicken with the tomato sauce and serve immediately accomanied by potato rissoles or rice flavored with saffron.