Recipe by Sassy in da South
A wonderful dessert from "A Taste of Quebec". If you love blueberries like I do, you should try this.
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh (may substitute1 package of frozen Blueberries, 300 g, unsweetened)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, granulated
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- whipped cream (optional)
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine blueberries, 1/4 cup of the sugar and lemon rind in a buttered 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, cream shortening with remaining 1/2 cup sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, blending well after each addition and finishing with dry ingredients.
- Pour batter over fruit in pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for.
- about 40 minutes, or until a tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly; turn out onto serving plate.
- Cut in squares and serve warm or at room temperature, with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.