Prep 15 mins
Cook 37 mins
This recipe is to die for! A classic French Canadian desert loved by many.
Make and share this Pouding Chomeur ( Poor Man's Pudding ) With Maple Syrup Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugar till the mix is light.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix.
- In another bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
- Alternate flour mix and milk to the butter mix.
- Pour into a 13 inch by 9 inch greased pan.
- MAPLE SAUCE.
- In a large casserole, bring to boil the syrup, brown sugar, cream and butter and constantly stir.
- Reduce heat and and gently cook 2 minutes or till sauce has reduced a little bit.
- Pour sauce gently over cake.
- Bake at 325°f (160°c) about 35 minutes or till cake is light brown and when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
This was delicious, very very sweet. I didn't have 35% cream (heavy whipping cream) so instead I used half-n-half, which I think is about 12% cream. Still, quite rich. The maple syrup caramel sauce sinks to the bottom to create a warm, oozy puddle of goodness at the bottom. Would be absolutely lovely in individual ramekins.
This recipe is fantastic. I found the exact one in French with many reviews, and some reviewers mentioned the original published recipe (magazine) stated it should be cooked at 350 degrees, not 325. Which I did, came out perfect after exactly 35 mins.
I made this for my French class and everyone loved it. Thanks!