This is a wonderful and simple to prepare comfort food using things you probably already have around. Kids love it- but so do adults. At least, in this home. Try it. It is one of my quick and easy favorites. This is my first submitted recipe... be kind.
- 1 small onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
- 2 lbs chopped cooked chicken breasts or 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pimiento or 1⁄2 cup sauteed red bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup jarred roasted red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- refrigerated biscuit
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease the bottom and sides of an 11x7 inch baking dish or 10 inch quiche dish.
- Chop the onion.
- Heat butter in a small nonstick skillet and saute until tender.
- Combine cooked onion, soup, chicken, milk, pimiento, and mayo in a bowl and then turn into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over the baked mixture.
- Arrange biscuits decoratively in a single layer and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over them.
- Return casserole to oven and bake until biscuits are golden brown and sauce is bubbly, usually about 20 minutes longer.
- NOTE: 02/16/09: This is RICH! You may sub sour cream for all or part of the mayo if you wish to cut back on the heaviness. The last time I made this I used a 1/4 cup of fat free mayo and 1/4 cup of sour cream. I think it was delicious! Also -- I took the suggestion of adding a cup of cooked green peas. What a terrific idea! I LOVED it! I think I might add two cups next time. Thanks to you all for making my humble recipe and leaving your suggestions. You GREATLY improved a recipe I was already proud of. Thanks so much.