Prep 8 hrs
Cook 4 mins
Looking for an easy recipe to make for your sweetheart? Served in pretty, stemmed glasses, this chocolaty custard is sure to set the mood for a special evening.
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons imperial sugar or 2 tablespoons dixie crystals granulated sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream (optional)
- In a small saucepan, combine the egg, sugar and salt. Whisk in cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160*F. and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; whisk in chocolate chips and vanilla until smooth. Pour into small dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.
- Note: Whoops! This is sooo rich. A little bit goes a long way. So rich, like fudge on a spoon, I get a spoon full out once a day: ) If the egg cooks, just push through a seive, or strainer.
- This is heavenly. The first time I made it, I used the thermometer but by the time it got to 160 it curdled. The next time, I didn't use the thermometer and used the spoon. Don't let it boil, is the key. Oh yeah, deboogie the egg first!