Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
A natural way to add nice scent to your home.
Make and share this Potpourri Gel Jars recipe from Food.com.
- Heat one cup water in medium sized saucepan.
- Add gelatin, stirring to dissolve.
- Remove from heat and add remaining 1 cup of liquid as well as food coloring, and stir until dissolved.
- Put drops of essential oil into jars then add gelatin mixture.
- Place in fridge for approximately 2 hours.
- Remove, cover with plastic wrap or lid if you have one, and store at room temperature.
- To release the scent simply remove the lid-- and when you are finished make sure you re-cover the jar so all the scent doesn't evaporate.
- This recipe makes four gel jars/ approximately 4 oz each.
- Note: Some folks in humid areas had trouble with their gel accumulating a thin layer of mold when stored for a long time.
- If you are in an area like this, or plan to store your jars for an extended period of time, you may want to store them in your refrigerator or a cool, dark place, such as a cellar.
- Or, simply add 1 teaspoon of regular salt to the above mixture, while cooking.
I made this tonight(12:30am!) using jasmine oil(my favourite essential oil) and rose pink colour. I used 1/4 cup of unflavoured gelatin for this. It seems to be a match made in heaven for these gel jars because it smells soooo tantalising and romantic. It also looks equally nice. I did add a stick of cinnamon and yes, it looks good in there:) I agree with the other reviewer that this is a real good gift, easy to prepare, looks beautiful, is inexpensive and in my opinion, this smells very nice. I will have to see how this smells over the next few days, but for today, I'd say this is really wonderful. I've already put this to test by placing this as soon as I have made it(while it's still not cooled down to room temperature) in the guest bathroom in my flat(which is smelling horrible coz we had some horrible guests today, lol). Once it cools down to room temp., I'll place it in the fridge and after 2 hours from then, I'll place it back in the bathroom. Lets see what happens. I will post an update tomorrow about how this - I hope and pray it'll work like magic in the bathroom and the bathroom will once again smell fresh and clean;).This would make a simple and nice Valentine's day gift, I think. It could work like a mock scented candle in the bath and is a real turn-on;)
This is a really nice gift, inexpensive and fast to prepare. I made it several times now with yellow food coloring and lemon / orange fragrance. Unfortunately I have noticed that the scent is not strong enough to fill a small room. So I doubled the amount of the fragance wich didn't help much. Then I put it on the heating which worked great, but the gel vanished within short time because of the heat. :-) However, this is a very good idea and I like it. The next time I will add a slice of dried orange or a cinnamon stick for an interesting look.