Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Try this for your next potluck. A cheesy potato casserole that gets rave reviews every time I make it. (Actually I tried it first at a pot luck a few years ago and begged for the recipe.) If you want to make it for your family, rescale to 14 or 7 servings.
- 3 (2 lb) bags frozen hash brown potatoes (I like the cubed kind rather than shredded but you can use either)
- 3 large onions, diced (about 6 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs havarti cheese, grated
- 3 (5 -6 2/3 ounce) containers spreadable cheese with garlic and herbs, crumbled
- 1 pint half-and-half
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Grease a large roasting pan.
- In very large bowl, combine thawed potatoes, onions, garlic and pepper with your hands, tossing until well combined.
- Mix in the smaller amount of all the cheeses and taste.
- Add more cheeses or pepper as desired.
- Pack mixture into roasting pan, pour half and half over top and sprinkle top with more freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake, uncovered, for at least 1 hour--up to 2 hours if you like them more browned like I do.
- Halfway through the baking, stir from the bottom up to get the browned bits mixed throughout.
- Only stir once though.
- If they start browning too fast and potatoes aren't cooked enough, cover with foil until done.