Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
From TOH - posted for safekeeping.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water, 110 - 115 degrees, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tsp sugar in 1/2 cup water.
- Add butter, eggs, milk powder, salt, 3 cups flour and remaining sugar and water to mixing bowl.
- Beat on medium for 3 minutes or until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 6-8 minutes).
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and put in a warm place to rise until doubled (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Punch down and divide into 27 pieces; shape into balls.
- Place 18 balls in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Place the remaining balls into a greased 9-inch square baking pan.
- Cover both pans and let rise until doubled (about 45 minutes).
- Bake at 375°F for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks.
This is one of my go to recipes for dinner rolls...very good!