Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Traditionally a side dish, the addition of baked beans to macaroni salad turns this wonderful salad into a complete main course. This recipe makes enough to serve a crowd, so take it to your next picnic supper, you'll be glad you did. Recipe came from mealtime.org.
- 6 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 (28 ounce) can baked beans, preferably barbecue-seasoned,undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red bell peppers or 1 1⁄2 cups yellow bell peppers or 1 1⁄2 cups green bell peppers
- 1⁄2 cup prepared herb vinaigrette
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil or 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley leaves
- basil or parsley sprig
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain well.
- In large bowl, combine macaroni and beans; toss to combine.
- Add celery, onion, bell pepper, vinaigrette, and basil; toss lightly.
- Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving to allow flavors to blend, or cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
- Garnish with the basil or parsley before serving.
- NOTE: Recipe may be reduced to 6 servings.
- Prepare as directed, using 4 ounces (1 cup) elbow macaroni, 1 can (16 oz.) undrained baked beans, 1 cup each of the vegetables, 1/3 cup prepared herb vinaigrette and 1/4 cup chopped herbs.
This is wonderful! I just gave my husband a taste before we take it to a potluck tomorrow. His comment was, "You are a great cook!" Thanks to Tweeky I was able to say, "Great recipes make great cooks!" :) I am so sick of mayo salads and this makes a fantastic change! I can't wait to take it to the potluck! 5 stars from our household! :)
It's the weirdest thing...I LOVE this recipe and have made it several times for different events. The problem is that although some people liked it, most of them didn't. I did encourage people to try it. Maybe it's the visual of beans mixed in pasta salad...I just don't know.
Yummy Yummy Yummy ! and easy. I was intrigued by the addition of baked beans (never thought of that one!) and all the raves. This will be going to the Church & Eastern Star picnics this summer -love that it doesn't have mayo. So far I've had it accompanied by chicken/apple dogs & blackened fish. "my tummy is smiling." Thanks for the recipe!