1/1 Photo of Potica (Croatian Nut Roll)
3 hrs 50 mins
1 hr 10 mins
2 hrs 40 mins
We always looked forward to the holidays when we could get nut roll. Now our grandmas are unable to make them and it is not the same. This is the recipe from my Grandmother for nut roll.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 2 cups milk, lukewarm
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup butter (not spread or tub product) or 1/2 cup margarine (not spread or tub product)
- 8 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1Stir yeast into water.
- 2Mix butter, milk, sugar, and salt.
- 3Add egg yolks, yeast mixture and 2 cup flour.
- 4Mix thoroughly.
- 5Add remaining flour and turn dough out on a floured surface.
- 6Knead until smooth, elastic and does not stick to surface.
- 7Place in greased bowl and let rise 1 hour.
- 8Grease your baking pan.
- 9Filling: mix milk, salt, margarine and sugar.
- 10Heat slightly until margarine melts and sugar is dissolved.
- 11Add nuts then to stretch mixture you can fold in beaten egg whites.
- 12After it has risen, divide into 4 equal parts.
- 13Do not knead.
- 14Roll each piece to about 1/8 inch thick.
- 15Spread with cooled filling.
- 16Roll jelly-roll style and place seam down in a greased pan.
- 17Let rise for 1 hour.
- 18Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 19Bake 40 - 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potica (Croatian Nut Roll)
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.7
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 41.2 mg
- Sodium 625.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 18.6 g
- Protein 9.9 g