Recipe by hcopeland
We always looked forward to the holidays when we could get nut roll. Now our grandmas are unable to make them and it is not the same. This is the recipe from my Grandmother for nut roll.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 2 cups milk, lukewarm
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup butter (not spread or tub product) or 1⁄2 cup margarine (not spread or tub product)
- 8 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 -3 lbs nuts, shelled and ground
- 2 -3 cups sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk (Pet brand preferred) or 1 pint half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 egg whites, beaten (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir yeast into water.
- Mix butter, milk, sugar, and salt.
- Add egg yolks, yeast mixture and 2 cup flour.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add remaining flour and turn dough out on a floured surface.
- Knead until smooth, elastic and does not stick to surface.
- Place in greased bowl and let rise 1 hour.
- Grease your baking pan.
- Filling: mix milk, salt, margarine and sugar.
- Heat slightly until margarine melts and sugar is dissolved.
- Add nuts then to stretch mixture you can fold in beaten egg whites.
- After it has risen, divide into 4 equal parts.
- Do not knead.
- Roll each piece to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Spread with cooled filling.
- Roll jelly-roll style and place seam down in a greased pan.
- Let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake 40 - 45 minutes.