Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe in Heavenly Delights Cookbook from Trinity Lutheran Church, Boyd, Mn posted by Arlene Fjerkenstad - a favorite for cold Minnesota winter days
- 4 cups grated raw potatoes
- 3 cups flour (may need more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ham shank
- Mix potatoes, flour, baking powder and salt together to make a stiff dough.
- Form dough into dumplings, placing a small cube of ham in center of each dumpling.
- Add enough flour to keep from sticking.
- Drop into boiling ham broth or stock. Cook one to one and a half hours. Serve with hot butter and ham.
My grandma used to make these for my dad, so when he came to visit, I thought I'd give it a shot. He gave them a great review, as did my cousin and his wife. I formed them into patties, then boiled in salted water. The next day, I sliced them, gently sauteed them in butter (lots of butter!) and black pepper, poured 1/2 and 1/2 over, and simmered until the cream was thick. I kept adding the cream as it reduced, until they resembled scalloped potatoes. Everyone was astounded that this was my first attempt! 5 stars all around! Thanks, Connie!