Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful recipe from Southern Living -- great for the holidays or anytime a special cake is needed.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened and divided
- 1 (16 ounce) package light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 4 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons light rum
- 2 tablespoons water
- Grease and flour two 9x5 loaf pans and sprinkle bottoms evenly with pecans.
- Set aside.
- Beat 1-1/4 cups butter at medium speed wtih an electric mixer about 2 minutes or until creamy.
- Gradually add brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar, beating 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until the yellow just disappears.
- Combine milk, rum and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture~ beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Pour batter evenly into pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack 15 minutes.
- Remove from pans.
- Bring remaining 1/2 cup sugar, remaining 1/4 cup butter, light rum and 2 tablespoons water to a boil in a saucepan, and boil, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Drizzle over warm cakes and cool completely on wire racks.