Recipe by susie cooks
These are posted for ZWT 2006. Cookin and prep time does not include "standing" time.
Top Review by Gerry
For most part I have always made my Baked Beans from scratch - what I had never done is make them with maple syrup and rum. I only had a 1/4 cup of the rum but it seemed to be just fine. Have made plenty of great recipes from cans as well - but there is something about slow cooked beans from the oven! Made as posted and while very different from any I have made they were very very good.
- 8 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups small dried white beans
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 2 inch strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup real maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and pick over beans. Put beans and water in saucepan, cover. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.
- Return to heat, bring back to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
- Drain beans thougha colander set over a bowl. Reserve 2 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid and set aside.
- Put bacon in ovenproof casserole or bean pot. Cover with cooked beans.
- In a bowl, combine onion, salt, mustard, syrup, rum and 2 cups of reserved cooking liquid.
- Pour mixture over beans.
- Cover and bake in a 325 degree oven for 3 hours, adding the last 1/2 cup cooking liquid during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from oven.
- Combine brown sugar and melted butter. Drizzle over beans.
- Bake, uncovered, for another hour or until liquid has evaporated.