Recipe by vrvrvr
Another winner from Jacques Pepin. Perfect for breakfast or a decadent midnight snack. Original recipe calls for 6 T. oil; you can do less.
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
This was ok, I used fresh hash brown potatoes,rinsed and squeezed dry before frying, light cubed rye bread, and cilantro. I used all seasons seasoning salt and pepper on them after they were cooked. It was very bland in taste until I put the seasoning salt and pepper on them. You could taste the walnuts and vegetable oil. After seasoning it was good.
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, partially defrosted
- 2⁄3 cup walnut pieces (or pecan)
- 3 slices bread, cubed (multigrain or French bread recommended)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large non-stick skillet. When hot, add potatoes and cook 8 to 10 minutes, until browned.
- Add nuts and bread cubes (croutons) and continue cooking and stirring 5 minutes until the nuts and bread have browned with the potatoes.
- Add butter and allow it to melt into the mixture.
- Sprinkle with chives (or parsley) and salt.
- Serve immediately.