Recipe by Aunt Cookie
This is the first Indian dish I ever prepared. If you don't have hing/asefoetida, don't worry about it. Just add some garlic or minced onion instead. It'll still be good!
Top Review by Mellowpuff
These were really yummy! I've made this kind of dish before, but this will be my preferred recipe from now. Didn't have any hing, so substituted garlic powder. Also used coconut oil. Served as a side dish with my homemade yoghurt. Will make again!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs new potatoes, diced but not peeled
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hing (aka asefoetida)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan on medium heat.
- In quick succession, put in first the hing and a second later the mustard, followed by the cumin seed.
- Add the potato and stir.
- Sprinkle in the turmeric.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are lightly browned and almost cooked.
- Sprinkle in the remaining spices and cook for 1-2 minutes more.