1/1 Photo of Potatoes With Roasted Poppy Seeds
Lend a nutty, earthy taste to potatoes by flavoring it with roasted poppy seeds. Be sure to use the creamy white poppy seeds and not the black ones that are used in breads and baking. This dish has a distinctly delicious taste, rather different than that of the regular Indian potatoes made with either cumin or mustard seeds.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes (slice 1/2-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon onion seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 red chilies, dried (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup warm water
- cilantro, to garnish (optional)
- 1Heat a pan on medium heat, add poppy seeds and reduce heat to medium-low.
- 2Carefully roast them until they are just a shade darker.
- 3Remove from pan and cool.
- 4In same pan, heat oil and add the mustard, fennel, cumin and onion seeds.
- 5When they turn color, add the chillies and allow them to just blacken (but not burn, as that would impart a bitter taste).
- 6Stir in the turmeric powder and immediately potatoes and salt.
- 7Stir thoroughly and add the warm water (you may need to add more, but start with small quantities and add as you go along).
- 8Cover and reduce to low heat.
- 9Cook for a further 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- 10Grind the cooled poppy seeds using a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle.
- 11Stir the ground seeds into the potatoes - it will form a thickish paste which will adhere to the potatoes.
- 12Continue to stir under medium heat if there is too much water, until you reach the desired dry-ish consistency.
- 13Goes well with pooris or chapatis.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potatoes With Roasted Poppy Seeds
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.1
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 305.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: