- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the potatoes into half-inch rounds, then dice these further into small, evenly-sized cubes.
- Using a wok or other non-stick pan, take the minimum amount of oil needed and fry these cubed potatoes over a high heat to start with and then turn the heat down and cover. When the potatoes are a little more than half done, add the turmeric, chili powder and some salt, closely followed by the remaining spices. Stir to combine and put the lid back on once again.
- When the potatoes are nearly ready (and you will have to be vigilant to ensure they don't get too soft), take the lid off, turn the heat up and stir-fry to enable any excess liquid to evaporate. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.