Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Once the highland indians had learned the art of cheese making from the Spanish, they began sprucing up their boiled potatoes with creamy cheese sauces. Potatoes with Hot Sauce is a peppery version created by Bolivian Indians. Recipe comes from Classic International Recipes. I suggest you take a test bite of the chili pepper you are using to judge how much chili pepper you want in your sauce. I've found there is quite a variety of "heat intensity" that varies even among the same variety of pepper. I like mine spicy, so sometimes I increase the chili pepper, or even add a little cayenne.
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered (5 cups)
- 1 hard-cooked egg
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons green chili peppers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk (1 2/3 cups)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup ripe olives, pitted and sliced (optional)
- In a covered saucepan, cook the potatoes in a small amount of boiling salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a serving bowl; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, separate the egg yolk from the white. Chop the yolk and white separately. Set both aside.
- In a saucepan, cook the onion and chili pepper in hot oil till tender but not brown.
- Stir in the flour and salt. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the evaporated milk all at once; cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Add egg yolk, cheese, and lemon juice, stirring till the cheese is melted. Pour hot sauce over the potatoes.
- Garnish with hard-cooked egg white, peanuts, and olives, if desired.
sorry the photos so dark hopefully someone else will take better one ,anyway this dis is great breakfast dish for us it had everything for mr picky , i used bell pepper , you know how he is ..sheesh anyway make this one its a keeper( i made more gravy myself ) made for s/a leg of quest and cakepops on parade
I made this tonight as a side for grilled burgers and it was really terrific. I omitted the peanuts and olives but the rest was down the line. It offers tons of flavor and who doesn't like cheesy potatoes! Add some heat kick and you have a real winner. The neighbors ask for the recipe so you know it was very well received.:D