Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great side for lamb dishes. Use your favorite garam masala. I like ones that have a bit of nutmeg in them. Asafetida can be found at Indian spice shops.
- 1 lb yukon gold potato
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced or grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 5 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Scrub potatoes. Place in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer until fork-tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and rinse in several changes of cold water and let stand.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Place in bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan or skillet. When hot, add asafetida, stir and let sizzle for 30 seconds. Add onion and saute until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, stir and cook 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, turmeric, coriander, cumin and cayenne. Stir well to coat the potatoes and add 1/3 cup cold water.
- Add tomatoes, stir, cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring once after 5 minutes.
- Mix in garam masala, salt and cilantro.
This dish is absolutely delicious! The spices are just perfect -- not too spicy, just right. The presentation value alone is worth every one of those 5 stars. DH went back for seconds -- maybe more! This dish is relatively easy to make with great results! Can't wait to make it again for Company! This dish is going into my Best of 2013 cookbook and will be made often. Made for PRMR, April, 2013.