Recipe by Rita~
David Bouley inspired me to make this recipe. A nice dish to impress your friend and family. It's very earthy. Comfort food! Truffles are very expensive but once in a while we deserve to enjoy things that God has given us! Olive oil can be used in place of the truffle oil. This can be a Vegetarian dish just sub the butter for oil or skip it. My DH once would never eat a mushroom now you can't keep it away from him.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
This was a truly delicious and easy to make recipe, and those I served it to loved it. I love mushrooms and this recipe offered a great blend of flavours, even without the truffles. I’m disappointed that I ended up making it without the truffle oil and truffles, but I’ll come back and review the recipe again when I make it with truffles.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs baby dutch yellow potatoes or 1 1⁄2 lbs fingerling potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces fresh button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 ounces shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4-3⁄4 cup potato water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon truffle oil or 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- pepper (lots)
- 1 sprig thyme
- 8 slices truffles (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse potatoes place in pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat till tender about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a pan place 2 tablespoons olive oil and saute mushrooms for 5 minutes season with salt and pepper and add thyme, shallots and garlic cook till translucent.
- Remove a couple of the cooked mushrooms for garnish and set aside.
- Add 3/4- 1 cup of the cooked potatoes and 2 tablespoons butter to the mushrooms, puree with a hand blender adding potato water to make a smooth puree.
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Stir truffle oil, salt and pepper to taste into potatoes.
- Spread 3/4 of the pureed mushroom mixture on a serving platter top with sliced and seasoned potatoes topping with 1/4 of the mushroom mixture.
- Garnish with the mushrooms that were set aside, sliced truffles and thyme sprig.