Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Made this last night for the first time - deliciously different way to serve potatoes. The original recipe (from The Popular Potato book) called for 1/2 tsp nutmeg sprinkled on top and no garlic.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled
- 6 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cut peeled potatoes in half and boil until firm but tender (alternately, you can microwave the potatoes); allow to cool.
- Coarsely grate potatoes into a greased casserole dish.
- Add green onion and half the cheese on top.
- Combine cream, milk, garlic powder and pepper.
- Pour over potato and cheese, then top with remaining cheese (and 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg if you want).
- Chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Bake uncovered in the oven at 350F for 40 minutes.
- Cooking time includes time for potatoes to boil prior to prepping dish.
- Even great the next day (I warmed it in the microwave for lunch).