Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
A very nice scalloped potato dish and is cooked in the microwave.
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chicken soup powder
- 6 cups potatoes, peeled and sliced,potatoes of your choice,russet,red,yukon gold
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- In a 2 quart micro-wave safe casserole dish, combine water, chicken soup mix and potatoes.
- Cover and cook on HIGH (full power) for 11 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender; stirring once half way during cooking.
- In a mixing bowl, combine half and half, flour, onions, salt, white pepper, garlic salt and granulated garlic.
- Stir this mixture into the potatoes; mixing well.
- Sprinkle melted butter over top.
- Microwave on HIGH (full power, uncovered for 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens slightly; stirring twice during cooking).
- Stir in sour cream and mustard.
- Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese.
- Microwave on HIGH (full power) uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve Hot.
- If desired, add some flaked or grated ham before sprinkling the cheese.
A lovely dish. I precooked it before I went to work and put the cheese on when I arrived home and cooked it and it was delicious. Thank you for posting this recipe Uncle Bill. Diane Sth Aust
A rather delicious recipe that I'll be sure to save to my "sides' file! I did change the fresh sliced potatoes to the canned variety, which also provided the added benefit of a faster cook time! I also eliminated the salt and garlic salt, as a personal preference and the results were still excellent! Thank you for posting this recipe!