Recipe by Recipezaar BCP
Crunchy tortilla chips, taco-flavored cheese and seasoned ground beef bring the flavors of the Southwest to your table. Do-Ahead Tip: If you're really a planner, consider cooking up several pounds of beef ahead of time and freezing it in resealable plastic bags in 1/2-pound (1-cup) batches. Then you’ll have it on hand for yummy dishes like this! Serve With: If your family loves salsa, serve it with this Mexican-style casserole. Variation: Replace taco-seasoned cheese with pizza-seasoned cheese and use crushed crisp breadsticks instead of the tortilla chips. Sprinkle hot casserole with sliced ripe olives, and you have Pizza Potatoes Casserole!
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (5 ounce) box Betty Crocker au gratin potatoes
- 2 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded taco-seasoned cheddar cheese (4 oz) or 1 cup cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 cup coarsely crushed tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Cook beef in 10-inch skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain. Stir together Potatoes, Sauce Mix, boiling water and milk in ungreased 2-quart casserole. Stir in beef and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or until top is light golden brown. Sprinkle chips over casserole; sprinkle remaining cheese over chips. Bake 3 to 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 2 minutes before serving.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) Increase first bake time to about 35 minutes.