Recipe by Derf
These potatoes are special and definitly not diet!!! Crunchie for a special meal or buffet. Evolved from "French cooking by Eileen Reece"
Top Review by waynejohn1234
Thanks for reminding me of this classic potato dish. Have made it in the past but it has been overlooked. Simple and elegant. Needs nothing else added. Your method is excellent. Thanks Derf.
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly.
- (if you have one use a mandolin) Thickly butter a deep charlotte mould and line the sides with potato slices placed closely to gether and attached firmly to the butter.
- Cover the bottom also and sprinkle lightly with salt, freshly ground pepper and flecks of butter, cover with another layer of potatoes, seasoning and butter and so on until the tin is three-quarters full.
- Cover with buttered paper and cook for 45 minutes or until tender when pierced with a sharply pointed knife.
- To serve, pass the blade of a knife around the inside of the tin, hold a heated plate over it and invert, giving a sharp tap as the plate is set down to turn out the contents.
- The inside should be soft and the outside crust crisp and golden brown.