- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped shallot
- 2 teaspoons Hungarian paprika
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock (or 1 bouillon cube dissolved in 1 1/4 cup water)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Melt butter in a frying pan and cook shallots gently, until softened but not browned (about 2-3 minutes).
- Stir in paprika and cook a further 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook until the mixture thickens and nearly all of the liquid from the tomatoes has evaporated (about 5 minutes) and stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream thoroughly.
- In a large baking dish (I use an oval 35 cm X 24 cm) spread a layer of the sliced potatoes.
- Cover these with a thin layer of the tomato mixture (your mixture should be thick enough to spread easily with a spoon).
- Repeat layers, ending with the last of the tomato mixture; with the dish I use, I get three layers.
- Pour the stock over all.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil, and continue to bake until the potatoes are tender and beginning to brown, and the liquid is nearly all absorbed (about another 15 to 20 minutes).