1/2 Photos of Potatoes in Spicy Cheese Sauce - Papa a La Huancaina
Baby Kato's Note:
This famous Peruvian dish Papa a la Huancaína was posted by Marian Blazes. I have posted it here for use in the ZWT-7 world tour of South/Central America. This is a dish of sliced potatoes covered in a spicy cheese sauce that is typically served cold, as a first course or as a lunch dish. It is delicious made with yellow or white potatoes. The sauce for the dish is called Salsa a la Huancaina and is made with aji amarillo peppers. The spiciness can be adjusted by using less or more yellow chile peppers. (your preference) If you would rather not have it spicy, you may use some tumeric powder instead for flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- salsa, a la Huancaina, Spicy Cheese Sauce
- 4 tablespoons oil, vegetable
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 -4 chili peppers (yellow aji amarillo frozen is fine or 1/2 cup jarred aji amarillo paste)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (optional, if you don't want it spicy add tumeric instead)
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 cups cheese, white farmer's cheese (queso freso, may sub with feta)
- 4 crackers, saltine (or for slightly sweet flavor add animal crackers instead)
- 3/4 cup milk, evaporated
- 1 pinch salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 8 potatoes (yellow or white)
- lettuce leaf (for plating)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 8 large black olives, halved
- 1For the sauce - Remove seeds from yellow chile peppers and chop into 1 inch pieces.
- 2Sauté the onion, garlic, and chile peppers (or paste) in the oil until onion is softened, about 3-5 minutes. If using the tumeric option, add it now.
- 3Once onion is softened remove from heat and let cool.
- 4Place the onion-chile mixture in a food processor or blender, add the evaporated milk and blend.
- 5Next add the cheese and crackers and blend until smooth.
- 6The sauce should be fairly thick. If necessary thicken you can thicken the sauce with more saltines or thin the sauce with more .
- 7Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve at room temperature or chilled.
- 8For the potatoe dish - Heat a large pot of salted water to boiling and add the potatoes.
- 9Boil the potatoes until tender, drain and let cool.
- 10Slice the potatoes and place on top of the lettuce leaves.
- 11Then pour the huancaína sauce over the potatoes and garnish with slices of hard-boiled egg and black olive halves.
Browse Our Top Peruvian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Peruvian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potatoes in Spicy Cheese Sauce - Papa a La Huancaina
Serving Size: 1 (431 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 818.6
- Calories from Fat 336
- Total Fat 37.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 135.8 mg
- Sodium 870.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.9 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 26.4 g