Recipe by Mary in OR
Recipe posted as original. I feel the sauce needs to be INCREASED by an additional half the sauce ingredients. I was given the recipe the summer of 1962 and it has been a family favorite ever since. Prep time does not include baking the potatoes.
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh grated
- 4 baking potatoes, baked,peeled and diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 1/2 Tbls butter and stir in flour.
- Gradually add cream and cook, stirring constantly until cream bubbles and the sauce has thickened.
- Add the salt, pepper, onion and nutmeg.
- Add the potatoes to the cream mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a lightly greased baking dish.
- Dot top with remaining butter.
- Bake 350 degrees until browned, about 30 minutes.
- If doubling the recipe, bake for 45 minutes.