Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe I would like to add to my cookbooks here on Zaar. Just about the best comfort food there is, one can add ham to this for a 1 dish meal. Can add sharp cheddar also.
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and sliced paper-thin
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 garlic cloves, split
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves of
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, plus more
- fresh chives, for garnish
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients, tossing to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the potato mixture into a casserole dish, flatten it out with a spatula, and bake for 40 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and the gratin is bubbly.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh chives.
I made half a recipe for the two of us and added gruyere cheese. Great recipe but was a nightmare to clean the casserole dish.
This was excellent and a great special occasion dish. I will try to make a lower fat version next time by reducing the 2 cups of cream. Thank you for sharing your recipe! *Reviewed for PAC Fall '07*