Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Translated from French to English, it means "Grandmother's potatoes". It's a very nice potato dish that's good with just about any meat. I like to sprinkle some fresh parsley over the top just before serving; basil or oregano is also nice. Servings will vary, as the size of potatoes will differ; cooking times may vary for the same reason. Check at 45 minutes.
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated (**set aside a little to use as topping)
- fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Layer sliced potatoes in a 9x13-inch glass baking dish and season with salt and white pepper.
- Combine cream, mustard, garlic,** parmesan cheese and butter in a heavy saucepan and heat just to the boiling point.
- Pour over potatoes. **Add some of the reserved cheese, if using).
I scaled back for 2 serves and served 3 of us with one serve left over, I used a 8x8 cake tin and baked at 175C fan forced for 40 minutes (sorry no mention was made as to what to do with the parsley, assumed it was to sprinkle on the finished product, which I didn't do as the dish I was serving it with was already liberally sprinkled with parsley). Flavour wise we thoroughly enjoyed the rich creamy flavour of the potatoes (I used Carisma - a low GI white potatoes). Thank you FLUFFSTER, made for Help A Naked Recipe, Photos Forum event.
We found this to be very bland. I cut the recipe in half and it took about 45-50 minutes to bake in an 8x8 glass dish. Maybe I should have used others' suggestions and increase the mustard, etc. I did increase the garlic but that didn't seem to help. I think there are many possibilities with this recipe and will try some different (or more) seasoning to kick it up a bit. Thanks for sharing.
Excellent! They were so easy, wonderful and perfect. I did add a bit more mustard and a bit more parm on top. But that didn't change the overall ease and delicious flavor. It was just really good. Next time I may try a shallot or 2, but not necessary. They were good as is. Just yummy! I made the full recipe and have some leftover which will be my lunch. I have just a slice of ham in the freezer so I will chop it up and make a small snack for lunch The rest I gave to my guest last night and to my son for dinner as he loves potato dishes. It will definite be a dish to make again. Thx for a great recipe!!