Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Fine Cooking, April/May 2004. Easy potato recipe.
Make and share this Potatoes Fondantes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs baby yukon gold potatoes or 2 lbs Red Bliss potatoes
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (less if the broth is salty)
- 1 -2 thinly sliced fresh chives
- sea salt, for seasoning just before serving
- Trim potatoes of any eye or damaged areas and wash in cold water.
- Arrange as many potatoes as you can in one layer in a 10 inch non stick skillet.
- (there should be a little room to spare).
- Add the rosemary, broth, oil, butter and kosher salt.
- Bring to boil over high hear.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover the pan but leave the lid a little ajar and boil until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- The liquid should still halfway surround the potatoes; if it doesn't, add more broth or water until it does.
- Remove the pan from the heat and press on each potato with a spoon or metal measuring cup just until it cracks open.
- Set the pan over medium high heat and cook, uncovered until all the liquid has evaporated and the potatoes have browned on one side, about 10 minutes.
- Gently turn the potatoes and brown the other side, another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the potatoes rest for 5 minutes before transferring to a serving platter.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately, passing the sea salt so diners can sprinkle on if they want.
I make these all the time, and have ever since that issue of Fine Cooking was published. They are a great side, and very versatile as you can change the herbs to go with your entree. Thank you for posting!
I made this recipe for potatoes to go with our St. Patricks Day Dinner. The potatoes stold the show. Everyone raved over the potatoes. This was a fairly easy recipe to make. It took a few times to get the pressue right when cracking opening the potatoes, but really it was delicious. The potatoes were slighly crisp on the outside and moist with a rich taste in the inside. We won't wait for a special occasion to make these potatoes again.
I have been meaning to rate this I have made this several times. the crunch and flavors are awesome.Be sure you use fresh rosemary.It is great with steaks on the grill and pork roast this is a keeper!!!