Potato lovers unite! This deliciously different recipe uses rutabaga to jazz up the spuds. Hearty but healthy and low-fat. Try this for Thanksgiving or a potluck! Tested at high altitude.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 1 small rutabaga
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Peel potatoes and rutabaga and cut into 1/2" cubes.
- 2Place in saucepan, cover with cold water, salt lightly, and boil until tender- about 15 minutes.
- 3(Be careful not to overcook.) Drain.
- 4(Reserve the cooking water and freeze for a delicious, nutritious soup base!) Begin preheating oven to 425F degrees (about 220C degrees).
- 5In a small saucepan, melt margarine.
- 6Whisk in flour and cook over medium-high heat for 30 seconds.
- 7While whisking constantly, add chicken broth and milk.
- 8Continue whisking until sauce comes to a boil.
- 9Boil gently for 2 minutes.
- 10Remove from heat.
- 11Stir in salt and pepper.
- 12Slice half an onion into wide rings.
- 13Separate rings and add to potato/rutabaga mixture.
- 14Toss well.
- 15Place in casserole dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- 16Sprinkle with cayenne pepper, if desired.
- 17Pour sauce over all.
- 18Sprinkle evenly with parmesan cheese.
- 19Bake for 15 minutes, or until top begins to brown and sauce is bubbly.
- 20Serves 2-4.
- 21NOTE: Tested at high altitude.
- 22You may need to reduce the amount of liquids and/or cooking times.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potatoes Elizabeth
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 609.8
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 48.3 mg
- Sodium 527.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 28.4 g
- Protein 26.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium low-fat chicken broth