I got this recipe from the book "Don't Panic-Dinner's In the Freezer". This dish tastes just like the fried potato cakes my Mom used to make back in the day. The only thing I do different is to cook my potatoes in the microwave and use a small cookie scoop to remove the potato pulp. I have also left the skins on and mashed them that way. My family loves it either way!
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, pricked with fork
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened or
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream (I used half & half)
- 3 ounces gruyere cheese, grated (I used a Fiesta Blend)
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped (optional)
- COOKING DAY INSTRUCTIONS:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 13x9x2 casserole dish.
- Put potatoes directly on oven rack and bake for 45-60 minutes or till done. I put the potatoes in the microwave till done and use a small cookie scoop to remove potato pulp.
- Mash potatoes with mixer or by hand until smooth (my family likes lumps so mine isn't smooth). Add butter/margarine and milk and mix.
- Spread in a prepared pan. Freeze using foil & plastic wrap method.
- SERVING DAY INSTRUCTIONS:.
- When casserole is thawed, preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- With electric mixer, whip cream to soft peaks, then fold in Gruyere by hand. Spread evenly over potatoes and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake until heated through and topping is golden brown. Garnish with parsley and serve.